Many people may believe that Iowa is just a simple rural state, but there is more to that then just farmland. There are many places in Iowa that are fun to visit and will give you historical enrichment.
1) Iowa State Capital
- The Iowa State Capitol Building located in Des Moines, Iowa was built between 1871 and 1886.
- Take a 60-minute tour of the whole building complex featuring a gold-leafed dome, grand staircase, marble and very intricate woodwork. This tour will also include a visit to the old Supreme Court chambers, and the five-story law library. Also, you can take a walk around the gardens surrounding the capital; see the memorials and the new Supreme Court Building across the street. From there, there is a great view of downtown from the west side of the capital.
2) Amana Colonies
- The purpose of the Amana Society was to live peacefully, with humility and pride, and faith in God.
- The Amana Colonies were created, built and settled by German Pietists in Iowa, and they also consist of seven villages.
- This site is a major tourist attraction, mainly known for its craft shops and exquisite restaurants. You can also go canoeing on the Iowa River, and take an audio driving tour to experience more of the Amana colonies rich culture and values. If you are looking for a culture-rich experience to do with the family or just by yourself, the Amana Colonies are the perfect option.
3) Blank Park Zoo
- The Blank Park Zoo is spread on an area of 49 acres. Out of which, 22 acres have been used for animal exhibits or facilities. There are also more than 104 different kinds of animal species located there.
- While you’re here, you can examine the animals as well as learning new and interesting facts about them. You can also interact with exhibits like the safari grill, camel rides, train rides, and carousel rides.
4) Des Moines Botanical Center
- It is located on 14 acres along the east bank of the Des Moines River, close to the downtown area.
- This is a great place to take children and young adults who are interest in anything pertaining to nature. The botanical garden provides education as well as botanical exhibits for their visitors. Kids can try to find specific plants and characteristics while they tour the Dome. Des Moines Botanical Center is also home to the koi fish, white catfish, turtles and birds are also free-flying.
- Okoboji is a city in Dickinson County, Iowa. It is a major tourist attraction, and people from all over the states come to visit this city in the summer. Many resorts around the lake have contributed to this city’s growing popularity.
- Okoboji is a place where people of all ages can enjoy equally. You can visit amusement park, historical places, shopping, local museums, theatres, golfing, and various events at the local University, or explore scenic beauty with a Lake Cruise. The nightlife in Okoboji is fun for everyone. There are comedians, bars, dances, drinks, and shows. This city is a fun destination to get away with the kids, or even go on a romantic getaway with your significant other.